Second Mile Haiti

Welcome to our blog! This is a place for us to keep friends and supporters up-to-date with the latest 'Second Mile' happenings! Check in often. Things are moving fast!

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

God's country

It's Jenn again. I’m sitting here with all the windows open. It’s chilly here. It’s a nice chilly. I’m not sure if you realized it yet, but I’m not in Haiti. I’m in "God’s country," as Karen would say. Good ole’ Wisconsin. I’ve never been here before but I haven’t seen anything I didn’t like. It reminds me a little of Texas.  I have been here for 6 days and it feels like I’m part of the family. It doesn’t feel like I should be saying good bye to the Gigure family tomorrow. I mean I just now started realizing how to open all the cabinets and doors with their child proof locks. I just realized I shouldn’t get out of the bed in the morning without a sweatshirt. Henry their 4 yr old son has stopped being nice to me. That means I’m fitting in. I’m not new anymore. He doesn’t have to impress me anymore.

My time here has involved amazing conversations, delicious frosty beverages, good meals, speaking at church, making bracelets, church camp, hot showers, Star Wars on the Wii, adoption and haiti talks… let’s just say I had an amazing time.  I have enjoyed every minute of being here.

Pastor Brian @ Mt. Zion
Some good 'eats' - compliments of Karen


telling some attentive kiddos what life is like where I live

So here I am at 8:00 at night and I need to start packing for my morning flight to Seattle. My 6:20 a.m. flight to be exact. I am asked what I will be doing there but to tell you the truth I have no idea. I have learned to stop planning. Some may ask how do I live my life that way. Well to be honest, I couldn't imagine life being any different.

See after returning from two weeks in the States at two different weddings I was told by God on my very first night back in Haiti that I needed to head back. At first I wrestled a little bit, but it was inevitable.  God always wins huh? Karen had been inviting me out her way for some time so she was the first person I called to ask if I could come see her. She said yes without any hesitation. That’s what landed me in Wisconsin.

Yesterday, we sent out a newsletter and mentioned in it how much money we raised last weekish. The total was $15,000. Oh, I didn’t tell you the best part of the story...God told me I needed to go to the States to raise $30,000. A lot of people commented today saying I must have done very well in Wisconsin. Does doing well mean I raised a lot of money? Because if so then I didn’t do well at all. I did however do well at getting face to face and heart to heart with people and forming what I hope to be lasting relationships with some incredibly big-hearted people (one of who is pictued right there to the left.) Really its been our donors who have just jumped on board and decided to donate more money this last week then they have the last three months. How awesome is that? God’s funny like that. I keep tell people that I'm really not doing anything special with the fundraising. I think I just had to be obedient and answer God.

So here I am happy and home sick for Haiti at the same time. More than anything I’m just in awe of our amazing God. He continues to show us that if we are obedient and faithful, he will provide. Thank you to everyone who has been praying this week, everyone who has given support, and everyone who I met in Wisconsin. Can't wait to see ya'll again!

1 comment:

  1. You make me giggle and cry all in one blog post. We feel blessed to have hosted you. You and Amy are welcome to stay with us any time you're in town. You're part of our family.

    ReplyDelete